Competition with “Lines and Angles” Assigned Subject “Motherhood or Fatherhood”
Visitors are welcome to attend this free meeting.
Flagpole Photographers membership is required to submit competition photos.
- 7:00 – Social time
- 7:30 – Flagpole announcements and competition
Uploading Digital photos
- Assigned Subject – “Lines and Angles” – Entries may be color or monochrome. Click to view special nature rules.
- Monthly Challenge – “Motherhood or Fatherhood” – The Challenge subject is announced about 1 month before the competition. The Challenge photo must be taken after the subject is announced. Entries may be color or monochrome.
- Open Color – Any subject allowed.
- Open Monochrome – Any subject allowed.
- Comments Only – Judges only comment on the photos, photos are not scored. Any subject allowed. Entries may be color or monochrome.
Learning Through Competition
Competitions encourage everyone to improve their skills and to learn new ways to look at things. Constructive comments from judges can be a very useful learning tool. However, judging art is very subjective. Judges can’t see inside your thought processes.
- If you like what a judge says, whether it is your photo or not, that is great. Use that insight to improve your photos going forward.
- If you disagree with what a judge says, that is ok too. If you like your art the way it is, that is more important than what anyone else says or how well it scores.
- You choose whether to use or ignore the judging comments.
Information for Judges
Commenting on each photo
- We ask that a judge provide a positive comment on each photo. Then, suggest how the photo might be strengthened.
- Help the photographer think about a different perspective, crop, lighting, background, etc. the next time a similar situation presents itself.
- Focus on suggestions for before the shutter was clicked. Try to avoid complex post-processing suggestions.
- Please don’t say you “love” the photo if you score it a 7.
- We thank you in advance for making this a better learning experience.
Run-through at start of each category
Ties resolved at end of each category
Range: 6 to 10 by half points
Practice using the keypad. Scoring is working when your choice is displayed in the lower right corner.