This page contains what you need to know about entering your photographs and volunteering for our first exhibit at Highland Plaza. If you have any questions, email Rhonda@CCullens.com.
We have over 300 photos in this exhibit over the 6 adjoining businesses in High Plaza. Photos on racks are pictured below. Other photos are on walls.[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”180″ display=”pro_blog_gallery” image_display_size=”1000″ image_max_height=”2000″ order_by=”filename”]
- Now – Choose and prepare your photos! We are putting together the advertising for the event and need your photographs. Please upload a couple of your favorites using our upload page.
- February 21 Titles Due – Email the following to Rhonda@CCullens.com
- Titles with a brief description if not apparent from the title
- Outside measurements, including mats or frames, listing Width first x Height second so I can tell if it is vertical or horizontal
- Indicate if Framed, includes canvas, metal, acrylic etc. or Not Framed, but just mounted on lightweight backing board or foam core
- Prices of all your photos or note “Not for Sale.” Note: Please use whole dollar amounts divisible by $5 and no amounts less than $20.
- February 28 Drop Off – Thursday night at 7:15 pm at the Senior Center, just before our February Competition Night, give your photographs to Rhonda.
- March 7 Load Cars and Hang Show – 1:00 pm – Load cars at the Cullens’ House (Let us know ahead of time if you are coming) and 2:00 pm Hang Show at the Highland Plaza stores.
- March 8 Opening Reception – 5 pm to 8 pm.
- March 9 Full Day – 10 am to 6 pm.
- March 10 Final Day and Pick Up – 11 am to 4 pm. Members may pick up their photos at 4 pm.
- March 11 Take Down (If needed) – 10 am. If we don’t finish take down on Sunday night, we’ll come back in on Monday morning to get the rest.
- March 14 Pick Up – Thursday night at 7:15 pm at the Senior Center members may pick up their photos at our March Program Night.
Art Exhibit and Sale of the best of our work at the Highland Plaza, sponsored by the retail businesses there. Every member may submit photos, matted or mounted on lightweight backing board or foam core, or framed. This also includes canvas, metal, acrylic etc. Any framed photo must be pre-wired and ready to hang on hooks. If final submissions exceed space and hanging limitations, the exhibit committee will select entrants. This is the first time we are accepting framed photos for an exhibit. Please note that while we will try to take the best care possible of your photos, by entering this exhibit you will be accepting any risk of possible damage to your photos and will not hold the club or any member responsible for any damage. Photos may be offered for sale if maker chooses and will be sold off the wall. Because the exhibit is only one weekend, we won’t be asking for replacements of sold items.
Highland Plaza, 125 South Main Street, Newtown. This is the plaza where Fusion 25 and Butcher’s Best face South Main Street. The businesses next to each other in the back row of the plaza are participating.
March 8-10, 2019
– Friday 5 pm to 8 pm
– Saturday 10 am to 6 pm
– Sunday 11 am to 4 pm
- Flagpole Photographers with photographs
- Society of Creative Arts in Newtown (SCAN) with paintings
- Possibly Sabrina’s Encore Productions with live entertainment
- Premier Wine and Spirit Warehouse – https://premier-wine-spirits-of-newtown.business.site/
- Balanced – Pilates and Barre Studio – http://www.balancedpilatesbarre.com/
- BD Provisions – Specialty Bulk Food and Coffee Roasting on-site – https://bdprovisions.com/
- Main Street Adventures – Laugh, Play, Explore – https://www.mainstreetadventuresct.com/
- Performing Arts Center – Sabrina’s Encore Productions and Lisa
MennelliDance Academy – https://www.sabrinasencoreproductions.com/ ; https://www.lmdadance.com/
- Suite Space – https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Beauty–Cosmetic—Personal-Care/Suite-Space-1085843268207510/
We will be having several activities taking place over the weekend.
5:00 pm – 8:00 pm Opening Reception – Meet the Artists (Appetizers will be at BD Provisions and Suite Space. Wine tasting will be at Premier Wine and Spirits Warehouse.)
10:00 am – 2:00 pm Flagpole will be presenting “DIY Portraits.” We will have a portrait studio set up where we will allow people to come in with their camera or cell phone to take a photo of someone else. Our members will assist them with their camera and lighting. Or one of our members can take a photo of them on their camera. (Suite Space – Right hallway at the end)
1:00 pm – 2:00 pm Flagpole and the Newtown Lions Club will be presenting “Photographing Newtown.” We will be sharing details and answering questions about the jointly produced book, “A Tour of Newtown.”
(Premier Wine and Spirits Warehouse)
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm Flagpole will be presenting “Improving Your Photography” where members will share tips for improving photos and answering questions on photography.
(Premier Wine and Spirits Warehouse)
1:00 pm – 4:00 pm SCAN will be having live watercolor painting demonstrations. (Suite Space Lobby)
Noon – 3:00 SCAN will be having Still Life painting demonstrations.
(Premier Wine and Spirits Warehouse)
1:00-4:00 SCAN will be having watercolor painting demonstrations. (Suite Space Lobby)
Please let Rhonda know if you’re interested in helping staff the activities booth.
John Boccuzzi with BD Provisions will be promoting the event. He’s planning on advertising the event to attract people from both Newtown and surrounding towns. He’s also planning on having raffles and various other activities to bring people in.
Advertising Photos Needed ASAP
Please upload a few photos you will be exhibiting using our upload page. These photos may be used in exhibit advertising and on our website. Please send them as soon as possible!
Registration of Photos
Email all titles with exact spelling and punctuation to Rhonda@CCullens.com by Thursday night, February 21. Also note if your photos will be offered for sale or not and at what price. We need this for planning purposes and to make up a photo price list. Also indicate the size of the photo and if they are framed or not. A brief description of the photo, if it is not apparent from the title, will also help plan which business and location we might put them in.
Preparation of Photos
Use plenty of strong glue/tape etc. to secure all layers on unframed photos, especially if double matted and/or using mounting board or foam core. Also, please draw a small line on the top backside indicating the exact center of the photo. This will assist in the attachment of the plastic hanging hooks. If this line is not in the center, the photo will hang crooked.
If photos are framed, please make sure they have a wire on the back and are ready to hang on a hook.
We will be using our exhibit labels which are a different style of label template than we use for monthly competitions. Click here for the template. You’ll need to enter your title in the top box, your name in the lower left box, and the price, or the words “Not for sale” if you don’t want to offer them for sale, in the lower right box. Then print them, cut them out, and attach to the backside of the bottom center so the text boxes are visible from the front. The outside top of the title box should be showing just below the mounted photo or frame.
On the Backside
Please make sure your name, title and either price or “Not for sale” are on the back of your photos just in case the label comes off.
If you choose to offer your photos for sale, please use whole dollars, in increments of $5, with a minimum of $20.
Multiple Sales of a Photo
Because this is just a one weekend event, we won’t be replacing sold pieces. If someone wants to buy something that already sold, I’ll get their contact info and pass it along for you to make a connection with them if you choose.
We will be hanging the exhibit on Thursday afternoon, March 7. We could use help transporting the racks and the photos to the plaza from our house at about 1:00. (Let us know ahead of time if you are coming.)
We’ll also need help assembling the racks and hanging the photos starting at around 2:00 pm at the plaza. We have purchased 28 racks that are 2’x6′ to set up in the businesses in various configurations to put Flagpole photos on. We will also be using 3M Removable Strips to put lighter, unframed pieces on the walls. SCAN will also be setting up their racks for their paintings.
We are going to try to somewhat match subject matter of the art with the businesses, where practical. For example, things with bright colors or animals that children might like could go in the children’s play area if they are not framed, and dancers or musical instruments could go in the preforming arts center etc.
We will start take down at 4:00 pm Sunday, March 10. If we don’t get everything down then, we will finish on Monday morning, March 11, starting at 10:00 a.m. Let us know if you are free to help take the photos and racks back down too!
You may pick up your photos Sunday, March 10 at 4:00 pm at the end of the exhibit. I’ll bring anything not picked up to our next Program Night on March 14.
We are still in the planning stages for an Opening Reception which may be Friday night. There will be food and beverages provided. More details to come. This is a great opportunity for people to come meet us, the photographers, and ask us questions about our photos and the club. Please invite your friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers etc.! All are welcome!
Ask how you can help with the Photographs, Advertising, Hanging, Takedown,